Finnish Tourist Board
Finnish Tourist Board falls within the authority of the Ministry of Employment and the Economy as the national organization for tourism expertise with the task of actively promoting international tourism to Finland.
Finnish Tourist Board supports the Finnish tourism industry in developing and marketing tourism services for the international market. The board is funded from the state budget, with MEUR 11.1 budgeted for 2013. In addition, the industry is estimated to contribute approximately MEUR 1.3 annually to international marketing efforts.
Finnish Tourist Board’s Core Functions
Marketing communications on Finnish tourism
Image of Finland as a tourist destination is the Tourist Board’s main task. Responsibility for developing the tourism image of Finland lies with Finnish Tourist Board together with businesses in the sector, in collaboration with embassies, representative offices and Finpro. Responsibility for coordinating the Finland image lies with the Prime Minister's Office committee Finland Promotion Board, which includes Finnish Tourist Board as the tourism image expert.
Product marketing is carried out in partnership with industry operators to support the Finland image and promote products on offer working actively with tourism service providers and sellers.
Acquiring market data and analysing it for the tourism industry
- Data acquisition in partnership with tour operators, international agencies, research institutions, Finpro and representative offices
- Seeking new target groups and countries
- Analysing data and transmitting it to companies and transfer organisations
Promoting High-quality Product Development and Commercialisation
Development of Finnish Tourist Board’s Operating Model
- Developing thematic projects based on the national tourism strategy, and planning and coordinating their implementation Participating in tourist centres’ extensive product development projects in the capacity of experts
- Participating in creating regional tourism strategies and plans in the capacity of experts
- Communicating visions of tourism to public organisations that finance and develop the industry
Finnish Tourist Board has no offices abroad. Finnish Tourist Board cooperates overseas with other Finland-related operators, selecting the best partners and operating methods for each market.
Administration of functions in Finland will be acquired from a service centre, while support services will be outsourced as much as possible. The focus of Finnish Tourist Board’s operations has gradually been shifted to marketing an image of Finland as a tourist destination, while commercialisation and product development will increasingly be handled by individual businesses. General business support bodies will take on a bigger role in aiding this.
Finnish Tourist Board has about 30 employees. The funding comes mainly from the state budget.